11-year-old who contracted brain-eating amoeba has died

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) " The 11-year-old South Carolina girl hospitalized after contracting a usually deadly brain-eating amoeba has died.

The Beaufort Gazette (http://bit.ly/2aKar4U0) reports Hannah Collins died at 10:20 p.m. Friday, according to a statement from her family.

The statement said, "Hannah loved life, her family and friends and, although this is not the outcome we wished for, our sweet girl has joined the angels..."

South Carolina health officials confirmed Tuesday that someone had been exposed to Naegleria fowleri (nuh-GLEER'-ee-uh FOW'-lur-ee), a one-celled organism that can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

Health officials didn't identify the patient, saying it appears the individual was exposed to the amoeba while swimming July 24 in the Edisto River in Charleston County, South Carolina.

The organism, which is naturally present in warm fresh water, can be fatal if forced up the nose.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 29 Sep 2016 08:25:09 Processing Time: 408ms