Nevada teen's dog dies in hot animal control vehicle

HENDERSON, Nev. (AP) " A Nevada teenager says his dog died after being left overnight in a hot animal control vehicle.

Mr. Chops, a 9-year-old Shih Tzu, escaped from his family's Las Vegas-area yard on July 27 and was picked up as a stray, but a veterinarian found the owner's information through the dog's microchip. Police say Mr. Chops was sent to Henderson Animal Care and Control Facility until his owner could pick him up.

But police say the dog was accidentally left in the car and found dead the next day.

Brandon Whipple, Mr. Chops' 17-year-old owner, told KSNV-TV that it's sad to see the dog he's had since childhood pass away.

Jim Whipple, Brandon's father, called the incident an unfortunate accident.

Police say the animal control staff is reviewing the process for delivering animals.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 25 Sep 2016 21:06:10 Processing Time: 506ms