The Latest: Throng in Kosovo for Munich victim's funeral

BERLIN (AP) " The Latest on a series of attacks in Germany (all times local):

4:55 p.m.

Thousands of ethnic Albanians in Kosovo have attended the funeral of a young man shot dead last weekend in Munich.

Dijamant Zabergja, 21, was shot dead by the German-Iranian 18-year-old who went on a rampage at a Munich mall last Friday, killing nine people and wounding dozens before killing himself.

Relatives, common people and government officials took part at Zabergja's funeral ceremony at Ropice, a village 20 kilometers (12 miles) north of Kosovo's capital, Pristina. A red-and-black Albanian flag covered his coffin.

Two young Albanian women " Armela Segashi and Sabina Sulaj " were also killed in the attack.

Segashi's funeral was also being held Tuesday in Kosovo while Sulaj will be buried in Germany.

___

2:55 p.m.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann says the bomber who injured 15 people and killed himself at a music festival had enough material in his room to build "at least another bomb."

Herrmann says authorities need to examine how a refugee was able to collect such material in his room in a state-funded home for asylum seekers.

The 27-year-old Syrian asylum-seeker set off a backpack laden with explosives and shrapnel Sunday night after being refused entry to a crowded music festival in the Bavarian city of Ansbach.

___

2:40 p.m.

Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann says the Islamic State group "is waging a brutal war of aggression ... against our way of life."

In a news conference with Bavarian Governor Horst Seehofer, Herrmann called for better security and more police. Three recent attacks took place in Bavaria.

Seehofer says that Germany's people "are justifiably expecting that we face this courageously."

He adds: "We must do whatever necessary to protect our citizens."

___

11:30 a.m.

Germany's federal prosecutor's office says its investigation of the attack in the Bavarian town of Ansbach that was claimed by the extremist Islamic State group is focusing on the question on whether the attacker acted alone or had accomplices.

A spokeswoman for the office, which investigates all suspected terrorism in Germany, said Tuesday that "we're especially pursuing the question on whether the attacker in Ansbach was helped in the planning and preparation." The spokeswoman talked on condition of anonymity in line with department policy.

A 27-year-old Syrian asylum-seeker set off a backpack laden with explosives and shrapnel Sunday night after being refused entry to a crowded music festival in the Bavarian city of Ansbach, killing himself and wounding 15 people.

"by Kirsten Grieshaber

___

9:45 a.m.

Top security officials in Germany are calling for tougher security screening of asylum-seekers and have also announced that more police officers will be hired following four attacks in the country " two of them claimed by the extremist Islamic State group.

Horst Seehofer, the governor of Bavaria " where three of last week's attacks took place " told the daily Sueddeutsche Zeitung Tuesday: "we must know who is in our country."

Thomas Strobl, the interior minister of Baden-Wuerttemberg " where a woman was killed by a Syrian attacker Sunday " also demanded a tougher stance toward asylum-seekers.

Three of the attacks were carried out by recent immigrants, rekindling concerns about Germany's ability to cope with the estimated 1 million migrants registered entering the country last year.

___

9:05 a.m.

The extremist Islamic State group has published a video in which a man pledges allegiance to IS and vows Germany's people "won't be able to sleep peacefully anymore." It appears to be the same as the one found by German investigators on the phone of man who blew himself, killing himself and wounding 15 people.

The IS-linked Aamaq news agency released the video early Tuesday. The man on the video, his face covered with a black scarf, threatens to make life intolerable and that "we will blow up your homes."

German authorities could not immediately be reached to confirm whether the video was the same as the one found on the cell phone of a 27-year-old Syrian who blew himself Sunday night in the Bavarian town of Ansbach.

___

The item timed at 9:45 a.m. has been corrected to say that Seehofer is Bavaria governor, not interior minister.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 01 Oct 2016 10:40:48 Processing Time: 726ms