Boy 'chokes himself to death taking part in internet craze'

Karnel Haughton, from Birmingham, reportedly lost consciousness and suffocated.
Karnel Haughton, from Birmingham, reportedly lost consciousness and suffocated.

A 12-year-old boy has died after reportedly taking part in an internet game which starves the brain of oxygen, according to family and friends.

Karnel Haughton, from Birmingham, reportedly lost consciousness and suffocated.
Police are treating his death as 'unexplained', but reportedly he was found in his room by his mother Gemma Haughton last week.

He died later in hospital.

The 'game' involves choking yourself and posting the video on social media.

Friends of the family have set up a GoFundMe crowdfunding page to raise money for his funeral, and to pay for his grandmother to fly over from America to pay her respects.

A family friend said: "It was his mum who found him at home. He was apparently playing the 'choking game'.

"Karnel was such a witty and happy young boy and really close to his brother and sister. He was a popular lad at school and had a good word to say about everyone".

The death happened during the half term holidays, and staff and pupils at his school Greenwood Academy are said to be 'devastated'.

Headteacher Harry French said: "The staff at Greenwood Academy received the tragic news of Year 7 Student, Karnel Haughton's passing. Our thoughts go out to his family, friends and the Castle Vale community.

"Karnel was a chatty, witty, mature young man who always had a smile on his face. He had many friends who will be devastated by this sad news."

Police said: "The death is being treated as unexplained and has been referred to the coroner."

- Daily Telegraph UK

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 30 Sep 2016 02:07:25 Processing Time: 478ms