E-cigarette fire fatal

Photo / Thinkstock
Photo / Thinkstock

A Merseyside man died after his e-cigarette exploded and set fire to oxygen equipment in his Wallasey home.

Investigators from Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) found an e-cigarette that had been charging in David Thomson's bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which he may have been using.

There was a small amount of smoke damage to the property, though the fire in the bedroom had been extinguished by the time firefighters arrived.

The exact cause of 62-year-old Thomson's death has not been established.

It was the ninth fire involving e-cigarettes on Merseyside since the turn of the year, investigators said. MFRS has launched a campaign to give help and advice on smoke alarms and the use of the devices and their chargers.

- AAP

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n1 at 23 Sep 2014 05:23:35 Processing Time: 361ms