Search goes on for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Australian navy ship Ocean Shield lies docked at naval base HMAS Stirling while being fitted with a towed pinger locator to aid in her roll in the search for MH370. Photo / AP
Australian navy ship Ocean Shield lies docked at naval base HMAS Stirling while being fitted with a towed pinger locator to aid in her roll in the search for MH370. Photo / AP

Australia says the hunt for the Malaysian airliner that vanished off the Australian coast continues uninterrupted despite the top search official shifting his attention to recovering bodies from the Ukraine air disaster.

Angus Houston heads Australia's Joint Agency Coordination Center, which oversees the search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 that is believed to have crashed in the Indian Ocean in March 8 after veering far off course.

The former Australian defense chief was on Wednesday in the Ukraine town of Kharkiv as the prime minister's special envoy to receive the bodies of Australian victims of Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 which was shot down last week by a suspected surface-to-air missile.

Transport Minister Warren Truss said in a statement on Wednesday the search for Flight 370 "continues uninterrupted."

- AP

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a1 at 17 Sep 2014 14:53:42 Processing Time: 404ms