Glass, gun and knife attacks in Adelaide

Photo / Thinkstock
Photo / Thinkstock

A man has been shot dead, another is fighting for his life and a series of stabbings, glassings and other incidents have marked a violent New Year's Eve across Australia.

In Adelaide, an 18-year-old man died in hospital after being shot in the chest.

A 17-year-old was arrested and is expected to be charged with murder.

Police said the incident in suburban Warradale was not a random attack and the pair were known to each other.

A 34-year-old man was in a critical condition in the Gold Coast Hospital after being kicked in the head when celebrations at The Lost City tavern in Upper Coomera turned violent.

An Upper Coomera man, 26, was charged with grievous bodily harm and was expected to appear in Southport Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

After another altercation at a at a house on the Gold Coast, a 26-year-old man was admitted to hospital with stab wounds to the upper arm and abdomen.

In Victoria, an 18-year-old man was stabbed in the chest during a fight in the seaside town of Lorne, while ambulance crews said they were called to a series of other incidents including a number of glassings.

Across the state, a 15-year-old boy was one of more than 30 people to overdose on drugs.

Another glassing left an Adelaide man with wounds to the back of his head while two people were injured when a group of men gatecrashed a party at suburban Panorama.

One person suffered stab wounds and another had part of his nose cut off.

At the major public celebrations in Adelaide and SA regional centres police made 121 arrests for behavioural offences, while in Sydney 97 people will face a range of charges including drug supply and possession, assault, affray, assaulting police and malicious damage.

That was almost double the number arrested in Sydney last year, but police said they were happy with the outcome.

"While there have been a few idiots trying to spoil the end of the evening for others, it is good to see most revellers celebrated within their limits," Assistant Commissioner Alan Clark said.

Fireworks were the big attractions in most of the major cities but illegal displays also caused some problems.

A scrub fire at Willunga, south of Adelaide, was sparked by a stray firework and threatened homes before Country Fire Service Crews brought it under control.

In Melbourne, 22-year-old man suffered burns to his forearm and hand when fireworks he was holding exploded.

-AAP

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n2 at 29 Jul 2014 21:23:21 Processing Time: 948ms