Spicy soup literally burns hole in man's stomach

No amount of antacid could calm the fire in one Chinese man's stomach after eating a notoriously spicy soup.

The mala soup, a traditional Chinese dish that means "numbing hot", burned a hole right through the stomach of the 26-year-old man, Asian News International reported.

The soup gets its name from the numbing sensation produced by its ingredients, which usually include Sichuan pepper, local spices and chilli pepper.

The man ordered the spiciest version of the dish at a restaurant in Wuhan, central China, and was rushed to a local hospital after experiencing sharp pains and vomiting blood.

Doctors found a hole in the wall of his stomach, and declared the soup was to blame, The Daily Mail reported.

-AAP

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 12 Feb 2016 19:08:40 Processing Time: 234ms