No evidence of indigenous massacre in Venezuela

Photo / Thinkstock
Photo / Thinkstock

Venezuelan investigators have found no evidence of an alleged massacre of up to 80 members of the Yanomami indigenous group by illegal Brazilian gold miners, officials say.

But activists said on Monday the government had been too quick to dismiss the claim that dozens of Yanomami Indians were killed in a July attack, and urged officials to pursue their investigation.

"The investigative panel did not travel to the site of the massacre," said Itirio Hoariwe, vice president of the the Horonami Yanomami Organisation (HOY).

The government said forensic teams and security officials were sent to nine Yanomami communities in southern Venezuela along the border with Brazil.

But investigators did not find evidence of any killings, Minister for Indigenous Peoples Nicia Maldonado was cited by the AVN news agency as saying late on Saturday.

"The final outcome of these visits we have made is that no evidence of any killing was found," nor of houses or huts being burnt down as claimed by HOY, Maldonado said.

Brazil said over the weekend that it would assist in the probe.

- AFP

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 10 Feb 2016 19:16:06 Processing Time: 490ms