A man has died after his neighbour's flat went up in flames in southern Sydney.
The 67-year-old was at his home on Cambridge Street, Penshurst when a flat on the ground floor caught fire.
Emergency services responded to the blaze about 12.15am (2.15am NZ time) and evacuated several residents.
The 67-year-old man and his 37-year-old daughter were brought out of their flat but the man went into cardiac arrest, police said.
He was taken to hospital in a critical condition but later died.
Several other people, including the residents of the flat that caught fire, were taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation.