Anders Behring Breivik, who has confessed to the twin attacks in Norway on July 22, claims he called police during the massacre of 69 people on the island of Utoeya, his lawyer has told Norwegian public broadcaster NRK.
"He has explained (during a police interrogation Friday) that he called police from Utoeya, but I don't know if that is the case," said Geir Lippestad, who is defending the 32-year-old rightwing extremist.
A call to police could explain some witness accounts from survivors of the bloodbath, saying they heard Behring Breivik speaking on the phone or a walkie-talkie.
Most of the 69 people killed on the island were teenagers attending a youth summer camp hosted by the ruling Labour Party, while another eight people were killed earlier after Behring Breivik set off a car bomb outside government offices in the capital.
Oslo police could not be immediately reached for comment on Behring Breivik's claim he called them.
They meanwhile said earlier on Monday they had gathered all the mobile phones, computers and cameras found on Utoeya as evidence, and were analysing them to trace the killer's movements on the island.
Behring Breivik, who insists he acted alone, has said he was on a "crusade" to stop a "Muslim invasion" of Europe, and that he had targeted Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg's Labour Party because of its multicultural policies.
According to Lippestad, the 32-year-old has been very interested in the reactions to his attacks.
"He has asked questions about how many people were hurt and killed, and he has asked questions about the media reaction," the lawyer told NRK.