With the refurbishment of the Whanganui Regional Museum now approaching half-way, considerable attention has been paid to the design and construction of its buildings.
The 1928 building's stripped classical architecture and pre-Napier construction have caused the bigger challenges to seismic performance, with a lot of steel and timber bracing now installed.
The Māori Court building, designed by Don Wilson, has also received earthquake upgrades, but mainly it is undergoing repair and restoration of many of its original features. Wilson's Whanganui work, including the Museum, will be celebrated in a talk by architectural historian Mark Southcombe at the Davis Theatre next Tuesday 19 September. Investigation of the building's origins has also revealed fascinating stories about the people who worked on it.
An important collaborator with Don Wilson, and a key contributor to the structure and appearance of the 1968 building, was master brick and block layer Basil Benseman.
Bas arrived in Whanganui as a child and after leaving school, worked as a truck driver.
He served as an anti-aircraft gunner and truck driver during WWII in Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia and Italy before returning to an apprentice training scheme in Wellington.
Before long, he had established B E Benseman Bricklayer, which from 1946 to 1985, built a significant portion of Whanganui. Bas worked on many landmark buildings around the city including the Embassy Cinema, St Marcellin School, Whanganui Intermediate, the Government Life and State Insurance buildings, the War Memorial Hall, Power Board Building, Queens Park steps and the Whanganui Regional Museum, among hundreds of others.
He didn't spend much of that time in the office; he was too busy on site, laying hundreds of thousands of bricks and blocks himself.
Don Wilson's modernist architecture made frequent, often innovative, use of brick and concrete, and Bas often provided the craft needed to realise his designs.
The Museum project used conventional blockwork in many parts of the structure, as well as stone facing around the Davis Theatre, an unusual, vertical application of decorative brick on the exterior walls and a lattice of stacked breeze blocks on the end wall, echoing a similar pattern on the War Memorial Hall across the square.
Don Wilson, though, had an even more challenging role in mind for his long-time collaborator.
The south side of the building presented a new face to the city and Don wanted to make the most of it.
He designed a mural, based on rock drawings, to be rendered in Italian glass tiles. The biggest problem was the lack of anybody in 1968 Whanganui with the technical know-how to realise it.
With complete confidence he turned to Bas who, despite his protests that he had never attempted such a thing before, was eventually persuaded to set to work in yet another medium.
Over 10 months of painstaking work he invented his own mosaic technique which has weathered 50 years of Whanganui rain and sun and remains a shimmering tribute to a great partnership - the architect and the artisan.
Frank Stark is Director at Whanganui Regional Museum.