Two people had minor smoke inhalation issues due to a fire at Waverley's Rainbow Dairy on Monday morning.

The alarm went up at 11.13am and Whanganui, Patea and Waverley fire crews attended, Waverley chief fire officer Alan Hickford said.

They were able to douse the fire quickly, but the interior of the building received some smoke damage. An ambulance also attended, but the two people who inhaled smoke didn't need to be taken to hospital.

Waverley firefighters finished the job and were back at their station having a debrief by noon.

Advertisement

Mr Hickford said the fire started in a clothes dryer.

"They have big heating elements. When the drive belt stops they can overheat and catch fire."

The dairy was closed at lunchtime when the Chronicle called.

The dairy fire was the second callout of the day for the Waverley firefighters. They also responded to a false alarm at Silver Fern Farms' Waitotara plant at 6am.