The Taihape Youth Hutt has been given another lifeline with the Government yet to commit financially to youth services in Rangitikei .
In June Rangitikei District Council decided to fund the Marton and Taihape youth operations until the early part of this year while it waited to hear what the Ministry of Social Development's position would be.
The council did not want to be the sole funder of youth services. In November last year councillors voted to "urgently press" the ministry to make a decision by December 31 on its financial commitment to youth services in the district. If there was no commitment from the ministry the council was to stop funding the Taihape Youth Hutt from at the end of January and the Marton Youth Club at the end of April.
Mayor Andy Watson has since spoken with Minister for Youth Nikki Kaye and sent a letter, but a decision is yet to be made.
Last year's decision meant the Taihape Youth Hutt would close at the end of this week but Mr Watson asked the council to again extend funding for one more month in the hope progress can be made with the ministry.
Mr Watson understood Ms Kaye would be speaking with Social Development Minister Anne Tolley shortly.
"I don't want to close (the Youth Hutt) when there's that opportunity," he said. Councillors backed the extension of funding to the Youth Hutt which is about $1500 a month.
Councillor Soraya Peke-Mason said the two youth facilities were vital: "I'm a little bit sad that it's looking like we may not support our youth in the future. I think we should be helping to build capacity and capability among our youth."
The on-going funding will be assessed again in February.