A nationally recognised running coach has appeared in court facing 16 charges of sexual crime against a young victim, and is under investigation for further historic offending.
Alan James Rubick, 61, faces three counts of sexual violation and 13 of indecent assault - all against a 12-year-old boy in Wanganui.
Rubick appeared in the Whanganui District Court yesterday, hanging his head throughout the proceedings and turning away when the Chronicle photographer was granted permission to take his photograph.
His counsel, Stephen Ross, opposed the application to take Rubick's photograph but Judge David Cameron granted the request.
"This court starts on the basis of an open justice system," he said.
The majority of the charges are alleged to have been committed between October 1, 2012, and January 4, 2013, with five indecent assault charges on or about January 3 this year and one of sexual violation alleged to have been committed between December 1 and December 24, 2012.
Rubick was remanded in custody for a post-committal conference on September 18 and will appear again for a second call over on October 2.
Rubick had been working as a DJ for parties but is best known as an athletics coach, notably helping Brad Mathas claim the New Zealand 800m track title in Auckland last year. The pair's working relationship later broke down after nearly seven years.
Detective Senior Sergeant Neil Forlong, officer in charge of the investigation, said in a statement that police believed there might be other young and vulnerable victims and specialist officers were working with Child, Youth and Family to identify and interview these victims.
"I can confirm that police are investigating a number of complaints that date back several years and, as a result, I cannot comment further while the investigation is in progress. Extreme care needs to be applied when dealing with sensitive matters such as this and every effort is being made to support the victims and their families," Mr Forlong said.