Nine give Marist 11 a good going over

By Sam Curtis

Club Cricket

Bidwell Cup

A Turkey Red Greytown side with just nine players made light work of Newbolds Marist in the second round of the Bidwell Cup competition on Saturday at Memorial Park in Greytown.

Winning the toss and asking Marist to bat, Greytown got into their work quickly by dismissing the Marist side for a paltry 79 runs. Daniel Haxton was the chief destroyer with 5-11 and Quentin McKenna, who has recently returned from the UK, knocked the top off the Marist order with 4-17.

In reply, Greytown closed the day at 232-3 with the star of the show being Wairarapa senior representative Harry Greenwood striking a magnificent 126. It was Greenwood's maiden club century and featured 15 4s and three 6s. Greenwood received solid support from the ever reliable Blake Lyford, who finished the day 83 not out.

Greytown have a 153-run lead heading into the second day tomorrow and form suggests the match could be completed before the tea break.

In other matches, A1 Homes Kuranui Old Boys and Red Star were evenly placed after day one at the Park Sportsground in Masterton.

Red Star won the toss and chose to bat first and would've felt they had a par total at 204 all out. Harry Clinton-Baker continued his pre-Christmas form with a well compiled 69. Wicket-takers for the Kuranui Old Boys side were Sammy Curtis with 3-46, Tony Russo 3-49 and Reece Lett 2-22.

In reply at the close of play Kuranui were 192-9, needing just 12 runs with one wicket in hand to secure first innings points.

Wairarapa senior men's player-coach Sammy Curtis made 97 off just 91 balls. The only other batsman to reach double figures was gutsy 16-year-old Alex Glengarry who made 47 and put on 90 for the seventh wicket with Curtis.

Josh Mann was the pick of the Red Star bowlers taking 4-35 backed up well by young Rathkeale College medium pacer George Deans with 3-27.

The final match of the round played at Wairarapa College saw Flight Centre Lansdowne dominating the college team.

The home side batted first and struggled through to 154-9 before No 9 batsman Bill Crump decided enough was enough and dispatched the Lansdowne bowlers to all parts of the field making 76 not out off 79 balls striking 10 4s and a 6. Wairarapa College completed their innings on 210 with the pick of the Lansdowne bowlers being left arm medium pacer Ford Burr with 3-39.

In reply the students were dealt a batting lesson by former Wairarapa College pupil Alex Treseder, who was dismissed on the last ball of the day for a superb 92 off 131 balls.

With Lansdowne set at 162-2, the college team will be up against it to deny Lansdowne outright points.

Rep levelWairarapa Chairman's XI v Wellington under-17s

The Queen Elizabeth Park Oval in Masterton played host to the first taste of representative cricket for 2013 when a Wairarapa Chairman's XI took on the Wellington District under-17 side in a two-day match played on January 6-7.

Promising youngster Harry Clinton-Baker was named captain of the Wairarapa side and won the toss, electing to bat.

The Wairarapa first innings started steady with Justin Herbert making 51 at the top of the order. Sammy Curtis joined Herbert at the crease and together they upped the run rate before Curtis was given out to a dubious lbw decision for 43.

A middle order mini-collapse sparked Alex Treseder and Matt McKenzie into action and the pair took Wairarapa through to a respectable total of 275 all out. Treseder, continuing his good form from club cricket the previous day, finishing on 80 and McKenzie looking the most fluent of the batsmen completing his innings on 67.

Alex Ridley was the pick of the Wellington bowlers with 3-29 from his 11 overs.

In reply, Wellington were rocked early by the bowling of Quentin McKenna and slumped to 64-7 at the end of day one.

Day two started in a similar fashion to day one and Wairarapa took the first inning honours early with Wellington making a total of 108. George Deans finished with the impressive figures of 3-11 and McKenna took 3-30.

With the generous gesture of asking Wellington to follow on, the Wairarapa side found it tough going second time round in the heat with Wellington getting through to a healthy 327 all out. The scoring was dominated by two batsmen who made 90s, opener Ollie Flemmer 93 and wicket keeper Lachie Johns 97. Wairarapa's most successful bowlers were Josh Mann 3-66, Stefan Hook-Sporry 2-32 and Jock Cameron 2-65.

This left Wairarapa a target of 161 to chase in just 19 overs. Alex Treseder was promoted to open the innings and got the side off to a flyer, making 30 off 26 balls. Justin Herbert, Harry Clinton-Baker and Josh Mann contributed by making scores in the 20s and the total looked on until the last three overs when the run rate slowed due to the number of wickets lost and Wairarapa finished seven down just 10 runs short of what would have been a remarkable win.

This weekend, the Wairarapa senior men's side are back in action with a round 4 clash against Horowhenua-Kapiti in the Hawke Cup Zone 2 elimination competition. The match will be Wairarapa's last home game of the season with play getting under way at 10.30am tomorrow.


© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n1 at 02 Oct 2014 05:16:45 Processing Time: 645ms