The man charged over a bomb threat at the Masterton CYF office last month has elected trial by jury.

Name suppression lapsed yesterday for Brendan Forrest, 32, of Wellington, who has pleaded not guilty to a charge of threatening to kill.

Forrest was represented in Masterton District Court yesterday by his lawyer, Chris Tennet, though he was not required to be present himself.

The charge relates to an alleged bomb threat made at the Masterton Child, Youth and Family office on the afternoon on March 24 -- which caused an evacuation of the building that also houses Work and Income New Zealand.

Advertisement

Forrest's attendance was excused yesterday as he was represented in Masterton District Court by his lawyer, Chris Tennet.

Mr Tennet said a psychiatric report indicated Forrest was fit to plead, and Judge Barbara Morris said she would not extend the order for name suppression.

Forrest was remanded until June 23 at 10am for a case review hearing.

He was granted permission to make an application for electronic bail before that date.