Masterton woman fabricates rape story

By Trevor Quinn -

A 25-year-old Masterton woman who fabricated a story that she had been raped after a dalliance with a male stripper because she didn't want to pay for a taxi from Greytown to Masterton has been convicted of providing police with a false statement.

The unemployed woman, who was described by her lawyer, Jock Blathwayt, as having "recurring personality disorders", pleaded guilty to the charge. Police said she was "unwilling" to get a taxi which could have taken her the 23km home.

Sergeant Jodie Lawrence, prosecuting, said after the woman had been questioned extensively and come clean about her fabricated rape story, she told officers she lied about being raped because she "knew police would give her a ride home".

Mr Blathwayt said the defendant was a woman with a series of problems.

"She's a young woman with a personality disorder and an attention-seeking problem, which is reflected in the charge," he said.

Mr Blathwayt asked for continued name suppression, saying media coverage and the publication of her name would probably lead to a further deterioration of her mental health.

Sergeant Lawrence described the charge as "serious" and told Judge Tom Broadmore the woman had used up hours of police time, support and resources before she finally admitted she had made up the rape allegation.

On the evening of Wednesday, April 17, the woman had gone with a friend to a male strip show held at the rugby clubrooms in Greytown.

During the show, one of the male dancers gave the woman his cellphone number and asked her to meet him at his nearby accommodation later that night.

Sergeant Lawrence said once the show had finished, the woman was dropped off at the male stripper's accommodation by her friend. However, when she saw there were several other girls waiting to meet the dancers, she subsequently decided to go home.

Sergeant Lawrence said the woman had no way to travel home from Greytown to Masterton. She was unwilling to pay for a taxi so she decided to dial 111 on her cellphone. When she got through, she told a police officer she had been raped by a man whom she met at the rugby clubrooms.

Shortly afterwards, a police officer was called out from his home in Martinborough to meet the woman and start an investigation into the complaint. A second police officer also met her at the Masterton Police Station, with a Rape Crisis Support worker in attendance.

After several hours spent speaking to police, the defendant was dropped off at her home address. Later, the woman underwent a medical examination.

Sergeant Lawrence said that on Friday, April 19, a specialist police interviewer travelled from Wellington to Masterton and spent about three hours with the woman while she provided a formal statement. The woman again insisted she had been raped in Greytown. An initial extensive and time-consuming police investigation failed to result in any corroborative evidence to back up her claims.

Three days later, on Monday, April 22, the woman went to the Masterton Police Station and provided a second statement to police which contained an admission she had made up the rape allegation.

In explanation, the woman said she knew police would give her a ride from Greytown to Masterton if she said she had been raped.

She had previously appeared before the court.

Judge Broadmore convicted her and asked for a pre-sentence report and a reparation report detailing the plethora of charges police accumulated during their investigation.

He indicated if the pre-sentence report was favourable, he might consider a sentence of community detention.

Judge Broadmore adjourned the case until June 24 for sentencing and approved an order for the continued suppression of her name.

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 27 Aug 2016 15:01:00 Processing Time: 694ms