Man given continued suppression

By Trevor Quinn


A Wairarapa man accused of two counts of indecent assault on two girls, aged under 12 and over 16 at the time of the alleged offences, appeared in Masterton District Court yesterday where he was granted continued name suppression.

Judge Chris Tuohy said he was granting continued name suppression to the man, who did not plead, because there was a "likelihood of endangerment to his safety".

The man last appeared in Masterton District Court on January 24 after which he had been followed up the street by several irate people and subsequently had to seek refuge at Masterton Police Station.

Judge Tuohy said there would undoubtedly be an increased threat to the welfare and wellbeing of the accused if his name was in the public domain.

"I am quite satisfied if his name is published the persons might take it upon themselves to threaten or carry out threats, however unfair that may be," he said.

"He has a presumption of innocence at this stage."

The case was adjourned until February 26.

- WAIRARAPA TIMES-AGE

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n1 at 18 Apr 2014 20:11:52 Processing Time: 461ms