Road spikes used to stop fleeing Masterton teen

A teenage driver fled from police at speeds of up to 140km/h, crossing double yellow lines and causing other drivers to take evasive action, and kept driving even after three of his tyres had been shredded by road spikes.

Kody Clifton Greeks, 18, labourer of Masterton, pleaded guilty at Masterton District Court yesterday to five charges arising from two incidents in mid-January.

He admitted wilfully damaging a car, behaving in a threatening manner, dangerous driving, resisting police and failing to stop for red and blue lights.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Garry Wilson said Greeks and his girlfriend had just ended a 14-month relationship.

On January 14, Greeks had driven in a car belonging to his former girlfriend's mother to her workplace to talk over issues.

He confronted staff and demanded that the young woman come out to talk with him.

She left with him, as she was "fearful he might become aggressive and cause a scene".

Arriving at their home, Greeks refused to give her the car and house keys.

He told her he was keeping the house key so he could check on her and "smash" any men he found there.

She threatened to call police and Greeks gave her the keys, after which the young woman got into her car and locked the doors, intending to drive away.

Greeks began kicking the car, denting the bodywork.

He was arrested and bailed, with a condition not to contact or associate with the young woman or go to Cobden Rd, Carterton.

Three days later Greeks phoned the woman, sent her multiple texts and phone messages, and sat in a vehicle outside her workplace. Just before 2pm, he was seen in Cobden Rd and stopped by police.

Mr Wilson said Greeks locked his car doors, wound the window partly down and asked if he was under arrest.

When told he was, Greeks sped away.

He was pursued for 12km, at one point edging away from police, who were travelling at 140km/h.

He passed other traffic and caused an oncoming driver to take evasive action to avoid a collision. He also drifted across double yellow lines.

After driving over road spikes, Greeks continued for about 2km with three flat tyres before stopping.

He told police he had "just panicked".

Judge Tony Walsh told Greeks he was lucky there had not been a crash.

Greeks had to accept his relationship with the young woman was over, Judge Walsh said.

He was sentenced to six months' supervision, 75 hours' community work and disqualified from driving for nine months.

He is to attend stop-violence courses and was ordered to pay reparation of $1615 in weekly instalments of $30 for the damage to the young woman's mother's car.

- Wairarapa Times-Age

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a5 at 21 Oct 2014 00:19:20 Processing Time: 440ms