Wairarapa trio face charges

By Nathan Crombie

Three Wairarapa people have been arrested on charges related to the vicious beating and death of Featherston man Glen Jones.

Detective Inspector Sean Hansen said two women, 32 and 22, and a 28-year-old man were due to appear in Masterton District Court this morning on charges of aggravated burglary connected to the midnight attack on Mr Jones, 40, at his Fitzherbert St bedsit on Friday.

Mr Jones, a worker at the Featherston Community Supermarket, died of his injuries in Wellington Hospital about 5am on Saturday. Police launched a homicide inquiry later that day, involving an investigation team of 18 police and forensic scientists.

Preliminary results from an autopsy completed at Wellington Hospital yesterday confirmed that Mr Jones died of head injuries as a result of the attack.

The boarding house where police believe Mr Jones was attacked was cordoned off, as was a secondary crime scene on the corner of Watt and Revans Sts.

Police are seeking at least two weapons related to the attack, which was not gang or drug related.

No property had been stolen from the house, Mr Hansen said.

Police had failed to find the weapons at either of the two crime scenes in Featherston and Mr Hansen would not say what type had been used in the attack.

He said the arrests made over the weekend would bring some comfort to the family of Mr Jones and residents in the town.

"I know this will come as a huge relief to Glen's family and to the Featherston community who have been shocked by this attack."

He said further arrests were expected to be made this week but he refused to say how many more people were being sought.

"We know who they are and they know we are seeking them. I urge them to come forward."

Police are appealing for any sightings of a white Holden Commodore, registration GHE787, that was in Masterton late on Friday night before it was driven to Carterton and then on to Featherston.

Mr Hansen said the vehicle was in Revans St around midnight near the scene of the attack before it was driven to several locations in the Hutt Valley and Wellington.

The car was driven back to Masterton on Saturday morning.

The man and two women were arrested at a Masterton house, he said, where the car was recovered as well.

"This was not a random attack and the people of Featherston can feel as safe in their homes as they did before Friday."

Mr Hansen said police were unaware of any connection between Mr Jones and his alleged attackers.


© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a2 at 20 Sep 2014 17:55:46 Processing Time: 839ms