The graduated colour effect so popular for hair for several seasons, and also seen in runway fashions, is now showing strongly in marbled or ombre makeup finishes. These pre-mixed shades are designed to sweep on for tonal variety, but you can pick out individual colours and apply them as eye or cheek accents.
As with hair highlights, aim for seamless blending. We love how the look is also spreading into packaging, with holographic finishes on items including perfume bottles and cosmetic palettes. Try these shaded beauties for size:
1. Essie For the Twill of It $22.99
Fabric has inspired Essie's autumn nail colour collection. This trendsetting tonal is our pick for a textile finish you'll want to get your talons into. From selected Farmers and pharmacies.
• Revlon also has a new limited range of shot-effect enamels called the Electric Chrome Collection.
2. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush in Mood Exposure $68
Radiance with a natural look from this buildable colour blusher, available in five shades. Hand-made powder and pigment mix adds a luminous finish to skin. From Mecca Cosmetica stores or see meccacosmetica.co.nz.
• Try M.A.C Mineralise powders for a similar dimensional application.
3. Revlon Highlighting Palette in Peach Glow $24
This brick highlighter layers silky lightweight colours for a sun-kissed natural effect. Best for fairer skins; it won't give the muddy effect that overly dark bronzers can. Tonal products such as this are more versatile than a colour block, with individual shades able to be selected.
• Try Bobbi Brown's Shimmer Brick palettes in a range of tones.
4. Shiseido Future Solution LX Superior Radiance Serum $465
The serum within this striking holographic-effect bottle uses the lustre of pearls to impart added luminosity to the skin, while addressing signs of uneven skin tone and dullness. The futuristic packaging befits this top-of-the-line researched range from Japan's leading beauty experts. From selected department stores and larger pharmacies.
5. Balenciaga Paris L'Essence 50ml eau de parfum $180
This new interpretation of Paris moves what is a classic fragrance into deeper, smokier territory. Signature violet notes are supplemented with earthy hints of wood and leather. The tinted bottle takes on intriguing new depths as well.
6. Bird of Paradise ghd V gold classic limited edition stylers $319
Inspired by tropical birds, the graduated colour and phosphorescent brights of these stylers will bring an exotic, on-trend touch to your electronic beauty gadgetry. Choose from sunset or lagoon shades, with a matching bag and heat-resistant mat. For salon stockists, ph 0800 880209.