NEW & NOTED - New cafes and bars spotted around town.
• Palm Court
The famous Tiffin Afternoon Tea (above) is the highlight at The Langham Auckland's new bar.
- 83 Symonds St, ph (09) 300 2924.
• The Mustard Kitchen
A funky corner lunch bar in Morningside selling handmade pies, salads and sandwiches.
- 5 Morningside Drive, ph (09) 846 7206.
• Piccoli Piatti
Expect modern Italian food at this new family-run restaurant in the old Herne Bay Local spot.
- 170 Jervois Rd, ph (09) 376 5367.
Vegetarian, organic and super-healthy is the order at the on-site cafe of the recently opened New Lynn branch of East West Organics.
- 34D Portage Rd, ph (09) 826 5454
Where to find the designers' favourite foods:
• The pork spare ribs (I will share but I will also have food on my face) from Cafe Hanoi - amazing flavours, great atmosphere, hilarious chat.
- Abby van Schreven, designer, Maaike
• I love to come back to a couple of old favourites - the chicken pasta at Dizengoff and the paella at SPQR. With so many new openings in town we are spoilt for choice, but the classics are always worth remembering.
- Ingrid Starnes, designer
• Sunday breakfast is my favourite meal of the week - a leisurely start, a good coffee, some eggs and the Sunday papers is my kind of bliss. I'm pretty much obsessed with scrambled eggs, but recently expanded my horizons with the breakfast bruschetta from Fred's in Ponsonby. Bruschetta topped with avocado, ricotta, basil and a boiled egg, plus I recommend a side of bacon, all drizzled with olive oil. It's genius in its simplicity, and the awesome service is the cherry on top. Go get it!
- James Dobson, designer, Jimmy D
FRANCIS HOOPER'S PICKS
We asked the ultimate fashion foodie, and creative director of World for his can't-miss eats.
Best cafe: Cool Food at Bloc. From the bang bang chicken rolls to the marshmallow chocolate fish, this cafe is ridiculous! I love it.
Best restaurant: I have always been a serious Japanese cuisine lover, patronising the Ariake in the 1980s through to Masu in 2014. But I have to give it up to Brendon and the team at Ebisu - the soft shell crabs and the sushi/sashimi platter for four is the stuff of dreams. A must-eat situation!
Best fine dining: Hands down Sidart, it is Sid in the kitchen and the food is art. His signature blue cheese icecream is the stuff of legends
PUT IT ON THE LIST
Try the new Girolomoni organic balsamic vinegar: $19.90, from Sabato, ph (09) 630 8751.
DELICIOUS AND DO-GOOD
We love that Bennetts of Mangawhai have designed a special tern-emblazoned chocolate to raise funds for the New Zealand fairy tern, our rarest endemic breeding bird. Each box is $6.50 with all profits donated to the New Zealand Fairy Tern Trust. Available from Bennetts' Mangawhai boutique, ph (09) 431 5500.
Try the new iced teas and juices from Harney & Sons - made from small batches of organic tea leaves in flavours like invigorating black and big berry. $5.90 each from Farro Fresh and Smith & Caughey's.
TASTE OF JAPAN
Get along to the Auckland Showgrounds on Sunday from 11am to 7.30pm for an authentic taste of Japan. The annual Japan Day event features food and craft stalls and cultural performances.