Makes 1 large loaf or 3 small
• 2 tsp dry yeast
• 160ml warmed milk
• 1 egg
• 60g caster sugar
• 1½ tsp salt
• 80g butter, softened
• 350g flour
• 50g each of sultanas, currants, glace cherries
• 150g mixed peel, diced
• 250g marzipan (see recipe below)
• ¼ cup icing sugar
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• ¼ cup toasted almond slices
1. Warm the milk to body temperature. Sprinkle over the yeast, stir, and then let sit for 10 minutes until frothy.
2. In a large bowl place the yeast mixture, egg, sugar, salt, butter and ¾ of the flour. Beat until well combined. Add the last ¼ measure of flour and mix well. The dough will be slightly sticky.
3. Turn on to a lightly floured board and knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
4. Place into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
5. Preheat an oven to 180. Lightly grease a baking tray.
6. Deflate the dough and push into a 23 x 30cm rectangle. Roll the marzipan into a log and place into the middle of the dough. Fold the dough over the marzipan and pinch the seams together. Place on the baking tray. Cover with plastic wrap and return to a warm place for 40 minutes.
7. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 160 for 30 minutes. Remove and cool.
8. Mix the icing sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice and spread over the stollen. Sprinkle with almonds.
• 50g caster sugar
• 100g icing sugar, sifted
• 150g ground almonds
• 1 egg white
• ½ tsp vanilla
1. Mix the sugars and ground almonds in a bowl. Whisk the egg white and vanilla lightly with a fork. Pour into the sugar mixture and stir until a paste is formed.
2. Refrigerate until needed.