These divine little lemon and almond cakes are one of my favorite recipes.
They are incredibly simple to prepare and have a fantastic citrus zing, while the ground almonds give a moist and beautiful texture.
They are naturally sweetened with honey, making them free of gluten, refined sugar and dairy.
If I am feeling a little fancy I like to ice them with whipped coconut or cashew cream - but they are also just as wonderful left in their natural form.
THE MOST DIVINE LEMON AND ALMOND CAKES
Makes 8 cupcakes.
• 3 free-range eggs
• ¼ cup honey, maple or agave syrup
• 1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil, or butter
• Grated zest of two lemons
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
• 2 cups ground almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 160C, and grease or line 8 muffin tins.
2. Add the eggs, honey, coconut oil or butter, lemon zest, baking soda and vinegar in to a food processor or blender. Process for a minute or so, until the batter is smooth and creamy.
3. Place the ground almonds in a large mixing bowl and fold in the batter until well combined.
4. Spoon into the prepared muffin tins.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean once inserted.
The cakes will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container.
* dairy-free (if using coconut oil)
* refined sugar-free