Motorsport: Lowndes has no plans to quit

Craig Lowndes during the Supercars Sydney SuperSprint. Photo / Getty Images
Craig Lowndes during the Supercars Sydney SuperSprint. Photo / Getty Images

Veteran Holden star Craig Lowndes is confident he can remain a competitive force in Supercars, declaring he wants to keep driving in the series for another two to three years.

Preparing to enter his 21st season in Supercars, the 42-year-old's current contract with Triple Eight Racing expires at the end of 2017.

The three-time championship winner said he was yet to open discussions with team boss Roland Dane about a new deal, but revealed he was eager to keep racing for several years as yet.

"If I could get an extension for another two years that would be fantastic, it's something that I would really be looking forward to, three would be great," Lowndes said at the Supercars' season launch in Adelaide on Thursday.

"But at the end of the day you have got to be realistic and that's where we need to sit down and see where his (Dane's) future plans are and what he is thinking in his own mind about what the team looks like going on beyond the end of this year.

"We're going to a new Generation 2 car next year, which is obviously going to have a lot of focus for the team as well. It's is a busy time for Roland and the boys, but it would be nice to have at least another two years.

"It's something that every driver would like to secure is their future, I'm no different. At this stage we haven't had any formal conversation with Roland, so fingers crossed he's as keen as I am."

Lowndes moved to Triple Eight's third entry - Team Vortex - last year after Shane van Gisbergen joined Jamie Whincup in the two Red Bull cars.

He finished fourth in the championship behind his two stablemates and Scott McLaughlin, recording race wins in Perth and Ipswich.

Fresh from his victory alongside Whincup and Toni Vilander in the Bathurst 12-hour last weekend, Lowndes believed he could still be as competitive as any driver in the field.

"We are very consistent. Look at our finishing results in the championship, I've been in the top five in the last 10-12 years," Lowndes said.

"We believe we can still be right up there rubbing doors with everyone else as well.

"The two things for me that will make my decision to step down: obviously the enjoyment, which I still thoroughly love it and being competitive. Of course, if we're not competitive, then you've really got to think about what you're going to do beyond a fulltime drive."

After Roger Federer and Serena Williams' victories at the Australian Open, Lowndes is hoping 2017 could prove to be the year of the veteran.

"Last year was more of an underdog year, but this year is more about the veterans - hopefully that's true," Lowndes said.

"We've got our goals that we want to be in the championship hunt again if we can and that's really something that we're focused on, we go into this year a lot better prepared than we did last year."

- news.com.au

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 29 Mar 2017 03:34:18 Processing Time: 725ms