Gas leak causes school evacuation


Staff and students at Avon Primary School in Stratford were evacuated from the building last Thursday at around lunchtime, says principal Denise Hendren, who added that the evacuation was due to a gas leak that was detected after students reported smelling gas.

Denise says that she was very pleased with the calm and sensible behaviour of the students, which led to a straightforward evacuation of the premises, with all pupils collected within 30 minutes.

The pipe was fixed promptly and students were back at their desks the following morning.

- Stratford Press

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 31 Aug 2016 13:40:27 Processing Time: 641ms