South Africa considers Sanzar split

Springboks coaches Peter de Villiers, Gary Gold and Dick Muir. Photo / Getty Images
Springboks coaches Peter de Villiers, Gary Gold and Dick Muir. Photo / Getty Images

South African rugby union President Oregan Hoskins has confirmed he will be discussing the Sanzar partnership with Australian and New Zealand officials over the next couple of weeks.

South Africa's Sunday Times newspaper claims SARU want to pull out of the Sanzar agreement when the current contract expires in 2015.

Chairman Dr Jan Marais says they want to look elsewhere with an executive council meeting last week deciding to look at other options.

There are rumours that South Africa feel they would be better served by involvement in the northern hemisphere's Six Nations competition - which is played in the same time-zone as South Africa.

The Sanzar partnership has been strained in recent weeks with SARU boss Oregon Hoskins describing the decision to cite Springboks coach Peter de Villiers for bringing the game into disrepute as a declaration of war.

Hoskins says they will be discussing the situation with Australian and New Zealand officials in the next couple of weeks and won't be making any further comment about the future of Sanzar.

Any South Africa decision would have a major impact on the Tri-Nations and Super 15 competitions.

- NEWSTALK ZB

- Newstalk ZB

Your views

Stats provided by

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf01 at 27 Nov 2014 15:02:00 Processing Time: 812ms