Olympics: Kiwi house on fire in London

Hundreds of New Zealanders escaped from Kiwi House in London unscathed before a gas bottle exploded this morning. The fire started at approximately 7.30pm UK time (6.30am NZT). Herald Online's social media editor Troy Rawhiti-Forbes said Kiwi House had been filled to capacity before the barbecue's gas bottle exploded. About 300 people were evacuated. "An eyewitness praised the venue's staff for maintaining an orderly exit," Mr Rawhiti-Forbes said. "She said the staff organised two lines and escorted them off the premises, 'really quick and really clean'." The fire service has got the fire under control.

Related Content

Must watch video

NZ Herald Focus video

Entertainment video

Sport video

World video

Business video