First the NRL banned the biff, now it has scrapped the slap.
The game's governing body on Wednesday moved to stamp out the infringement by vowing to sin bin any player who slaps an opponent.
The slap has slowly crept into the game since the NRL cracked down on punching following Nate Myles and Paul Gallen's infamous fight during State of Origin in 2013.
The slap has for several years been a bugbear for fans and commentators who have watched players use the technique safe in the knowledge their opposite cannot strike back with a closed fist.
It once again came to the fore last month when Canterbury big man David Klemmer slapped Manly halfback Daly Cherry-Evans.
It prompted the NRL competition committee to hand down a recommendation for any player who strikes an opponent with an open palm to be sat down by the referees for 10 minutes.
"Slapping is not a good look for the game and I support any efforts to ensure that it is not a part of rugby league," said Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson, who sits on the competition committee.
South Sydney coach Michael Maguire, who also sits on the committee, hoped it would be the death of the slap.
"We have seen instances of punching reduce significantly and we hope to now see a similar trend with slapping," Maguire said.
NRL head of football Brian Canavan described the slap as embarrassing and it would be dealt with in the same way as punching.
The NRL confirmed the bunker would also be able to intervene when players slap an opponent and recommend to the on-field referee that they be sin-binned.
The committee, which also includes Australian coach Mal Meninga, NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and independent commission chairman John Grant, also recommended not to introduce an 18th man.
The NRL will continue to review interchange procedures but doesn't look set to add an 18th man to be used in the case of concussion or foul play.
Maguire said a concussion replacement was something that warranted discussion however was wary of it being exploited.
The issue has been gaining traction with some coaches over the past month, Newcastle's Nathan Brown leading the calls after his side lost two players to head knocks in their close loss to the Rabbitohs.
The NRL is attempting a difficult balancing act over concussion rules.
Under NRL rules, when a player is taken off for a head injury assessment, it does not count towards the side's interchange limit.
Parramatta were last month forced to defend themselves against suggestions they were using the concussion rules as a loophole for a free interchange.
Maguire admitted he feared an 18th man could likewise be exploited and when asked if the rules were open to being stretched, he said: "That always opens up the opportunities doesn't it.
"How they use that 18th man, that's something they need to be thorough with, be sure of the rulings."