Kiwi MMA fighter Mark Hunt says a win over US fighter Derrick Lewis in Auckland would leave him content, but he's still chasing a dream and has no plans to retire.

Hunt will make his first fighting appearance in New Zealand in 15 years, when he takes on Lewis in a five-round heavyweight main event at UFC Fight Night at Vector Arena on June 11.

The 43-year-old is excited to return home to step into the octagon for the first time since he was knocked out by Alistair Overeem at UFC 209 in Las Vegas last month.

"It's good to be fighting back at home," said Hunt. "When I started here a long time ago, I didn't know fighting was going to be my life.

Advertisement

"But if it ends here, then it's fine - I've had a great career. I've had a lot of journeys and adventures, and being one of the oldest fighters in the world is great.

"I've still got four fights left in my contract, but if the career ends here, in June, or it continues, it doesn't matter. I'm happy with what I've done with the sport.

"I'm still chasing a dream."

Hunt brushed off suggestions a hometown victory could provide an ideal end to a glittering 20-year professional career and said he had no intention of retiring, while he is still ranked among the world's best fighters.

"I'm not considering calling it a day at all," he said. "Like I said, I'm still chasing a dream, I'm still at the top end.

"I was told some reporter said I should be quitting, but at the end of the day, I'm blessed to be doing what I'm doing.

"It goes to show how good I am at my age, competing with the best fighters in the world still, after 27 years of fighting and 20 years as a pro."

Hunt (25-12-11 MMA) is confident he can bounce back against the 32-year-old Lewis (23-18-4 MMA), who is currently ranked sixth in the division and searching for a seventh-straight victory, after demolishing top ranked contender Travis Brown in two rounds in February.

"Why am I going to beat him? Because this is my backyard and I'm the best fighter in the world, of course."

Hunt is still embroiled in a court battle with the UFC, taking legal action against his employer after his controversial no-contest with drug cheat Brock Lesnar in July 2016.

Hunt initiated legal action, after fights against Frank Mir and Lesnar resulted in positive drug tests, while he was also upset at being matched up against Overeem, who was caught doping in 2012.

Despite the legal wrangle, Hunt says it has not adversely affected his relationship with the UFC.

"The situation is good," he said. "They're not treating me any differently.

"I had no choice. They put me in a spot where I had to get an even playing ground and a fair fight, and that's all I'm trying to do.

"I still want a fair work environment so it's even and that's basically all I'm asking for - a fair go.

"The company's changing things and trying to make it better, but for me, it's not quick enough.

"People say it's a money grab. Well, it is a money grab - trying to get the cheaters' money.

"They don't deserve it and you've got to start somewhere.

"And if you start by taking their money away, there's no incentive to cheat. That's the whole idea of it."

UFC vice-president David Shaw said Hunt's headline status at UFC Fight Night was a coup for all involved.

"We're lucky to have him headlining this card," said Shaw. "It's huge - It's akin to taking Georges St-Pierre back to Canada and Anderson Silva to Brazil.

"He means so much not only for our sport, but also for the people of New Zealand."