The rivalry between the Breakers and Perth has received an extra pinch of spice, with the Wildcats today announcing the signing of Corey Webster.
After the Breakers parted ways with the shooting guard earlier in the month, Webster wasted little time in finding a new home, choosing to remain in the Australian NBL and shift to the reigning champions.
The 28-year-old needs no reminding about the rivalry between his former club and his new side, who have shared the last eight ANBL titles. Webster took part in many spiteful encounters between the teams during his nine-year stint at the Breakers and, with additional motivation accrued, next season's clashes will be appointment viewing.
Going into a season with a massive point to prove is a good feeling!!— Corey Webster (@cwebster9) March 30, 2017
The Breakers knew of the risks in opting against offering Webster a new contract. But, after he endured a difficult campaign on and off the court, the club said the decision was best for both parties.
Webster headed into the season under an injury cloud, impacting his on-court production and seeing him shut down in December. Off the court, Webster was arrested at a Takapuna nightspot in November and is defending two charges of assault and one count of assault with intent to injure.
Those ongoing legal troubles apparently troubled Perth little, with the two-time reigning champions not hesitating to snap up the Tall Black.
"Corey's a world class shooter," Perth coach Trevor Gleeson said in a statement. "We've played against him a number of times in the finals. To have that firepower on our team, combined with our defence, it's going to open up a lot of avenues our guys."
Webster said he was looking forward to the fresh start and eager to work hard on and off the court.
"I can't wait to start playing NBL basketball again," he said. "To be continuing my career at one of the best organisations going around, who have won three of the last four titles, is very exciting for me."