Boxing: WBA sanctions Joshua to fight Klitschko in 2017 if he can beat Molina

IBF World Heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua. Photo / Photosport
IBF World Heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua. Photo / Photosport

The World Boxing Association has finally sanctioned a fight between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko for its "super" heavyweight title.

The fight will take place in the spring of 2017, but only if Joshua beats Eric Molina on Dec. 10 in the second defence of his IBF title.

The WBA super belt is vacant after Tyson Fury relinquished it last month, citing "clinical depression."

Fury beat Klitschko in November last year to take the WBA, IBF and minor WBO titles off the Ukrainian boxer.

Joshua's promoter, Eddie Hearn, said on Thursday "we will now move forward with Bernd Boente (Klitschko's manager) and Team Klitschko in planning the date and venue, knowing that victory against Eric Molina in Manchester on Dec. 10 is more important than ever."

The WBA also said Shannon Briggs will fight Lucas Browne.

- news.com.au

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 04 Dec 2016 05:02:08 Processing Time: 227ms