The Latest: Derrick Rose says no wrongdoing so no settlement

LOS ANGELES (AP) " The Latest on jury selection in a rape lawsuit against NBA star Derrick Rose (all times local):

5:45 p.m.

Derrick Rose's civil rape trial got underway in a Los Angeles courtroom, and the NBA star was halfway across the country saying he planned to win the lawsuit.

Rose told reporters Tuesday in Houston before the New York Knicks' exhibition opener that he hasn't settled the claim because he did nothing wrong and it will be OK once he tells his side of the story.

A lawyer for the woman suing him complained in court that Rose's comments violate a gag order that his own attorney requested.

Jury selection ended for the day without a single juror picked to hear the case. It resumes Wednesday.

The woman accuses Rose and two of his friends of raping her while she was incapacitated in 2013. The three deny the claims and say the woman willingly had sex.

___

12:15 p.m.

Defense attorneys in the rape lawsuit against NBA star Derrick Rose have complained about the lack of black people in the Los Angeles jury pool.

An attorney for Rose's two co-defendants said Tuesday that only two of the 50 prospective jurors were African-Americans. All three defendants are black.

Rose and two friends deny accusations of gang-raping an incapacitated woman, saying she consented to sex.

Rose's lawyer noted that 15 of the first 27 possible jurors were Hispanic, the ethnicity of the woman.

The judge says the jury pool is selected at random from a diverse population.

The woman who brought the lawsuit was previously identified only as Jane Doe but was named in court for the first time Tuesday.

The Associated Press generally doesn't name people who say they're victims of sexual assault.

___

11:25 a.m.

Potential jurors in a $21 million rape lawsuit against NBA star Derrick Rose are filling out questionnaires asking them what they have heard about the case and whether they can set aside their own sexual morals and biases.

Rose wasn't in the Los Angeles courtroom Tuesday, the same day the New York Knicks' preseason begins in Houston. But his two friends and the woman the trio are accused of gang-raping appeared for the start of jury selection.

Rose and the unidentified woman had dated on and off in the two years prior to the August 2013 incident at her apartment. Rose and his friends denied the allegations and said the sex was consensual.

The woman has wanted to remain anonymous because she says she was harassed online after her name was leaked.

___

9:25 a.m.

NBA star Derrick Rose is due in a Los Angeles courtroom to fight a $21 million lawsuit by a former girlfriend who accuses him and two friends of gang raping her three years ago when she was incapacitated.

The start of jury selection in the trial Tuesday in U.S. District Court conflicts with the Knicks preseason opener in Houston and it's not clear which Rose will attend.

Lawyers for the player have said he probably won't appear in court for jury selection, though he's expected later.

The woman, identified only as Jane Doe, says Rose and two friends had sex with her without her consent in 2013 after she passed out following a night of drinking.

Rose and his friends deny the allegations and say the woman invited them into her apartment and willingly had sex.

Rose had dated the woman during the previous two years.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 09 Dec 2016 08:31:22 Processing Time: 650ms