People are being reminded that roads in Tauranga's central city will be closed today to make way for a homecoming parade for the region's Olympic heroes.
The parade will begin at 11am on Devonport Rd, before it makes it way to The Strand before ending on Wharf St. Following the parade, a short ceremony will take place at Edgewater Fan (the waterfront area opposite Starbucks) where people can expect to hear from Mayor Stuart Crosby and the athletes.
The parade will include the following athletes:
• Gold medallists and NZ flag bearers Peter Burling and Blair Tuke (sailing)
• Silver medallists Molly Meech and Alex Maloney (sailing)
• Silver medallist Luuka Jones (slalom canoe)
• Bronze medallist Sam Meech (sailing)
• Olympian Jason Saunders (sailing).
Tauranga City Council invites anyone who would like to take part to head to the CBD to make some noise and give the Bay's athletes a warm heroes' welcome home, hear their stories and celebrate their successes.
The council warns people to be prepared for large crowds and consider using public transport to avoid traffic and parking congestion. In the event of wet weather, the celebrations will be held at Baycourt Exhibition Space.
Lisa Carrington is currently overseas and was unable to make the parade.