Dana White denies Conor McGregor any chance to fight in UFC 200

UFC boss Dana White. Photo / Getty Images
UFC boss Dana White. Photo / Getty Images

ULTIMATE Fighting Championship president Dana White has refuted a claim by Irish superstar Conor McGregor that a deal had been brokered to see him fight Nate Diaz in a rematch in July. Featherweight champion McGregor had stunned the mixed martial arts world last week by announcing his "retirement" before later backtracking.

The UFC responded by removing the 27-year-old from the billing for his July 9 fight with Diaz on the UFC 200 card in Las Vegas.

However McGregor insisted in a tweet on Monday that he was back on the card and looking forward to fighting.

But in an interview with the TMZ sports website, White said he was baffled by McGregor's announcement.

"It's not true. We haven't talked to Conor or his manager since the press conference. I don't know why he would tweet that," White said.

"All the media keeps asking me that. I feel like the scene in 'Step Brothers' when they ask if they can build the bunk beds. I don't know how many more times I can say the fight is off or how many more press conferences I can have saying the fight is off for people to believe it's off."

The UFC has been at odds with McGregor after a week long back-and-forth war about the Irishman appearing at a series of promotional events for UFC 200.

When McGregor refused to leave his training camp in Iceland to travel to the United States to film a commercial as well as attend a trio of press conferences, the UFC pulled him from the upcoming rematch with Nate Diaz in July.

It doesn't appear McGregor has any chance to get back on the UFC 200 card at this point with White sticking to his guns after taking him off the card a week ago.

As of now, UFC 200 remains without a main event, although there are rumours a light heavyweight showdown between Daniel Cormier and Jon Jones could ultimately headline the historic show taking place at the new T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

- news.com.au

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 25 Oct 2016 11:26:28 Processing Time: 482ms