Bravo - Windies board 'most unprofessional in the world'

West Indies' Dwayne Bravo celebrates after his team's win over England. photo / AP
West Indies' Dwayne Bravo celebrates after his team's win over England. photo / AP

Dwayne Bravo has blasted the West Indies Cricket Board as 'the most unprofessional board in the world' and branded president Dave Cameron as 'arrogant' and 'very immature' just days after lifting the ICC World Twenty20.

Three days after Carlos Brathwaite's four consecutive sixes in Ben Stokes' final over saw the Windies crowned sprint format champions for a second time, all-rounder Bravo revealed in a Skype interview that the side were not provided with the correct kit for the tournament.

The 32-year-old, who was stripped of the West Indies captaincy two years ago after leading a players' strike that resulted in their tour of India being cancelled midway through, launched a scathing attack on those running Caribbean cricket.

We played this entire tournament without caps.
Dwayne Bravo

Bravo said: "I think we had enough as players.

"A lot of people come down on the players; they questioned our commitment; they questioned whether we really committed to West Indies cricket or is it just the money?

"A lot of people don't understand the sort of thing we go through as players dealing with our board. I think they're the most unprofessional board in the world.

"We get to India, our names were not even printed on the uniforms.

"Our manager had to leave our camp early to go and organise the uniforms and get names and numbers printed while in India. We played this entire tournament without caps."

A long-running pay dispute between the West Indies star players and the board centres on the WICB's refusal to negotiate contracts with anyone other than the West Indies Players Association, even though only one of the 15-man squad in India is a WIPA member.

"We had problems with our contracts," Bravo added.

"They informed the selectors there is going to be another strike.

"We already told the board we didn't want our players' association to negotiate on our behalf because of the 15 guys that came to India, only one player is a member of WIPA, so WIPA do not have the right to negotiate on the team's behalf.

"But the board still continue to negotiate with WIPA for whatever reason and there will always be problems with our contracts but at the end of the day we are not happy with what we are getting as players."

Sunday should have been a day of celebration for West Indies cricket, with the men's win following victory for the women earlier in the day.

The Windies are now reigning men's and women's T20 champions, as well as Under-19 World Cup holders, but the decision of WICB president Cameron to tweet shortly after the game has further incensed Bravo.

Cameron tweeted: "When is the last time a critic paid one your bills? Always remember that when you start to give them your energy."

Bravo said: "I'm not surprised by the president's tweet, because it's expected of him. He's someone who is very immature.

"Two years ago when we had a problem on the Indian tour and myself and [Kieron] Pollard were victimised, that's his way of dealing with things. They are very small-minded people, especially the president.

"The players, we feel hurt, the time has come where we can't take it any more.

"Someone needs to put a stop to it because cricket is being run by people who do not have West Indies cricket at heart.

"Where the president is concerned, this guy is just an arrogant guy."

Speaking about the walk-out from the tour of India, Bravo added: "I was captain on that particular tour and I am yet to have a meeting with any WICB member about what took place on that tour, which means they are not interested in improving things.

"All we want is some respect and equal treatment.

"I can only see it getting worse as the board only retaliate with hate and anger and they don't think of us as mature adults with common sense."

It was not all bad news for the West Indies players on Wednesday, however, with the Beausejour Cricket Ground in St Lucia being renamed after current captain Darren Sammy.

The venue will now be known as the Darren Sammy National Cricket Ground, while one of the stands has been named after Windies opener Johnson Charles.

- Daily Mail

- Daily Mail

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 19 Jan 2017 10:02:01 Processing Time: 550ms