Paul Gallen says 2016 will be last Origin

Paul Gallen. Photo / Getty Images
Paul Gallen. Photo / Getty Images

NSW captain Paul Gallen says this year's State of Origin series will be his last.

Gallen made the announcement last night.

"This will be my last Origin series - I haven't said that before," Gallen told News Corp.

"This will be my last series as a player so it means a lot to me. There's no doubt about that."

The 34 year-old has played 21 games for the Blues and as captain during the winning 2014 series, the first time NSW had won since 2005.

Gallen was as yet unsure whether he'd continue in the NRL beyond this season.

"This is my last year on contract (at Cronulla) and I haven't decided whether I will play next year or not," he said.

"If I am lucky enough to go around again next year it will just be for Cronulla.

"I'm getting on a bit and I have to understand that. I still feel that as long as I am playing good enough, I am the best person for the position."

Gallen said he reached the decision after sustaining his knee injury during the first game of the year.

He will return to the field against Wests Tigers on Saturday.


- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 26 Oct 2016 15:52:11 Processing Time: 1355ms