News of an investigation into allegations of match-fixing by three former cricket players have been met with shock and dismay, the head of the Players' Association describing it as "a sad day for all of us".
Former international player Scott Styris said he was "shocked" close friend Daryl Tuffey had been named as one of the three players being investigated while another former player, Dion Nash, said the news was "not nice" to hear.
Prime Minister John Key said it would be "very, very serious" if the allegations against the former New Zealand cricketers were proved true.
"New Zealand is a country that sees itself as a very above-board, honest place both to do business and to play sport so it would be deeply concerning if this was factually correct.
"New Zealanders expect sport to be played fairly and they expect sportsmen and women to perform in a way which upholds the ethics of their sport and not to be doing it to make money in an underhanded way.
"It would be a very, very serious issue indeed if it is proved to be correct."
Heath Mills, head of the Players' Association, told the Herald that he had been made aware of the investigation and knew the players involved.
"This is a sad day for all of us but people need to remember that 99.99 per cent of those playing and working in cricket are hard-working, dedicated and honest folk."
Former New Zealand batsman John Morrison said he would be very disturbed - and surprised - if the allegations proved to be true.
"I do detest it. It goes against every grain of sportsmanship that I think New Zealanders have always regarded as very sacred."
He urged people not to jump to conclusions but conceded "all New Zealand cricket followers and players will be very disturbed to hear this".
Morrison said match-fixing was never an issue when he was playing in the 1970s and early 1980s but cricket seemed to have become more money-oriented since then.
Nash told Prime News the allegations were serious.
"It's obvious they are serious allegations as well and against players that I played with and friends of mine, so that's something you don't take lightly either. It's not nice news to hear."
Former Black Caps all-rounder Andre Adams said he had received an email from the Players' Association advising him not to comment on the issue. "I really can't talk about it right now, sorry," he said.
Mills denied the association had gagged players, saying they had been advised not to comment because of the judicial nature of the allegations.
Meanwhile, boxing promoters Duco Events said the December 14 charity fight between Chris Cairns and fellow commentator Simon Doull would go ahead.