Pistorius won't race in 2013

Oscar Pistorius. Photo / AP
Oscar Pistorius. Photo / AP

Double amputee Olympian Oscar Pistorius will not compete this year as he awaits trial for the murder of his partner, his agent has confirmed.

The South African's agent Peet van Zyl said last month that Pistorius was a chance to compete at the world athletic championships in Moscow in August if he was in the right shape but has told Press Association Sport the 26-year-old was not mentally ready to return to the track.

Pistorius last trained on a track over three months ago, and his last competitive race was his victory in the 400 metre final at the London Paralympics in September last year.

Van Zyl said Pistorius wasn't ready "mentally" to compete after he was charged with murder in the February 14 shooting death of girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home.

"There was never any pressure from me or his coach (Ampie Louw) to return to competition, it's his decision and it's his decision not to compete," Van Zyl said.

Van Zyl did say that Pistorius has been invited to several athletics events despite facing a murder charge.

Pistorius is next due in court on June 4, with a trial expected to take place before the end of this year.

- nzherald.co.nz

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n3 at 27 Aug 2014 21:06:28 Processing Time: 511ms