Dana Johannsen is the NZ Herald's chief sports reporter

Athletics: Red faces as shot replayed

Tom Walsh. Photo / Brett Phibbs
Tom Walsh. Photo / Brett Phibbs

An embarrassing oversight by officials on the final day of the track and field nationals in Auckland led to the men's shotput event having to be replayed.

Canterbury's Tom Walsh won the event with a throw of 19.80m - just 3cm short of his personal best - before officials discovered an underweight shot had slipped into the throwing implements.

As there was no way of knowing which of the competitors had thrown with the lighter shot, event management were forced to replay the event - much to the athletes' frustration.

The repeat finished the same way as the first time, with Walsh, who looms as a strong challenger for Jacko Gill in his bid for world championship selection, taking out the title with an official throw of 19.42 - more than 5m further than Samoa's Shaka Sola.

Gill, who opted not to compete in the senior event as he battles back from a string of frustrating injuries, retained his junior title on Saturday.

Tauranga's Joseph Millar completed the sprint double yesterday, taking out the senior 200m title in 21.38 seconds from 400m champion Andrew Whyte and Isaac Tatoa.

Auckland heptathlete Portia Bing won the women's 200m over Canterbury's Fiona Morrison, after national record holder Monique Williams withdrew yesterday.

Black Sticks speedster Anita Punt finished in third after a slow start.

Wanganui's Lucy Van Dalen and Hamish Carson of Wellington (won the prestigious 1500m titles.

But the day's tightest race was the men's 400m hurdles final, with all three place-getters going under 51s. Daniel O'Shea won ahead of Michael Cochrane and Cameron French.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

Stats provided by

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 28 Apr 2017 07:59:29 Processing Time: 445ms