NRL: Manly alert to Prince's strike power

Scott Prince of the Brisbane Broncos. Photo / Getty Images
Scott Prince of the Brisbane Broncos. Photo / Getty Images

Manly coach Geoff Toovey says Scott Prince is still a force to be reckoned with and was surprised the Gold Coast released the former Queensland playmaker to join Brisbane for this NRL season.

The 33-year-old looked set to move to Super League side Hull FC after exiting the Titans with a year left on his contract only for the Broncos to make an 11th-hour play for him.

Prince had an indifferent season last year but Toovey says his team expect to face a player rejuvenated by his move to a new club when they meet Anthony Griffin's side on Friday at Suncorp Stadium.

"He adds a lot more flair in attack to their side, he is a very experienced player, good with the ball in his hands and very exciting to watch," Toovey said. "He will add another strike weapon to their backline."

Prince will form a partnership with one-time New South Wales halfback Peter Wallace and Toovey believes the Broncos have made a shrewd move by signing the 2005 premiership winner.

"I was surprised the Titans released him, but that is modern-day rugby league," he said. "Players move around a lot more than they used to, but Prince is a very good player and the Broncos will be expecting big things from him."

Manly five-eighth Kieran Foran is hoping for an upturn in form this season after admitting his performances were not up to scratch last year.

"It wasn't a great year for myself," Foran said, "[but] it's a fresh start this year and I hope to improve this week." AAP


Play Virtual & Fantasy League - starts Thursday 7 March
Test your tipping skills with Virtual or create your dream team with Fantasy NRL and be in to win a slice of over $7,000 in prizes.
Be part of the game and sign up now.

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a4 at 31 Jul 2014 06:11:11 Processing Time: 662ms