Cricket: Warne says BBL is only focus

Shane Warne says a Test comeback is not on his agenda, even though he's confident he could still knock over the Poms in next year's Ashes series. Photo / Getty Images.
Shane Warne says a Test comeback is not on his agenda, even though he's confident he could still knock over the Poms in next year's Ashes series. Photo / Getty Images.

Shane Warne says a Test comeback is not on his agenda, even though he's confident he could still knock over the Poms in next year's Ashes series.

The 43-year-old legspin great, who will captain the Melbourne Stars in their BBL opener against Melbourne Renegades on Friday night, says his focus is purely on his December-January stint with the Stars.

Warne says when Australia go on their Test tour to India in February, he'll be in the TV commentary box.

A newspaper interview earlier this week had quoted Warne as saying he'd give serious thought to any plea from his mate and Test skipper Michael Clarke to make an international comeback.

"I spoke to 'Pup' (Clarke) on a few different matters," Warne told a media conference on Thursday.

"That's all been pretty cleared up about all that sort of stuff."

Warne said Test paceman Mitchell Starc's comment that Warne's 708-wicket Test career was "done and dusted" was fair enough.

"He's probably right," Warne said.

"I'm not asking Michael Clarke. My quotes were all about if you ask me could I do it, I have no doubt that I could.

"But it's a big commitment. There's grade cricket, there's state cricket, you have to go through that process and hopefully get selected.

"For me it's nothing that I'm even considering.

"I'm bowling as good as I possibly have for the last five or six years.

"At this stage if you ask me do I want to make a comeback? No.

"I'm concentrating on the Big Bash."

-AAP

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n4 at 02 Sep 2014 07:01:50 Processing Time: 404ms