Soccer: Shock defeats for Stoke, Fulham

Stoke and Fulham were the biggest casualties in the League Cup second round today as the Premier League clubs slumped to shock defeats against Swindon and Sheffield Wednesday respectively.

Tony Pulis's Stoke had held Arsenal to a 0-0 draw on Sunday, but League One side Swindon, managed by former West Ham striker Paolo Di Canio, upset the odds with a dramatic 4-3 victory after extra time at the Britannia Stadium.

Fulham were the other top-flight side to bow out as Martin Jol's team were beaten 1-0 by Championship club Sheffield Wednesday.

Aston Villa, beaten in their opening two Premier League matches, won for the first time under new boss Paul Lambert with Australian Chris Herd helping secure a 3-0 victory over League One side Tranmere at Villa Park.

Pulis made six changes from the Arsenal match and one of those switches quickly backfired as a mistake from reserve goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen allowed James Collins to score in the 27th minute.

Collins struck again four minutes before halftime with a header from Raffaele De Vita's cross.

Kenwyne Jones launched Stoke's fightback when he scored in the 63rd minute and Jon Walters came off the bench to force extra-time with an 86th minute equaliser.

Aden Flint put Swindon back in front in the 105th minute and, after Peter Crouch equalised in the 111th minute, Collins capped a rollercoaster clash when he completed his hat-trick with the winner in the last minute of extra-time.

At Hillsborough, Fulham became the latest victims of Wednesday's revival under boss Dave Jones, who has inspired promotion from League One and an unbeaten start to life in the Championship since taking over in March.

Gary Madine's 50th minute penalty, awarded when Chris Maguire was hacked down by Stephen Kelly, was enough to see off the Cottagers.

Swansea maintained their 100 per cent start to the season as Michael Laudrup's side defeated Championship team Barnsley 3-1 at the Liberty Stadium.

Southampton won 4-1 at Stevenage, while Mali striker Modibo Maiga bagged his first West Ham goal to seal a 2-0 win over League One club Crewe at Upton Park.

Former Chelsea defender Jose Bosingwa hit his first goal for QPR, while Shaun Wright-Phillips and Bobby Zamora also netted in a 3-0 win over League One team Walsall at Loftus Road.

Sunderland strolled to a 2-0 win over League Two outfit Morecambe at the Stadium of Light, while Wigan, West Bromwich Albion, Norwich, and Reading all advanced.

Perennial League Two strugglers Burton Albion upset Championship side Leicester City 4-2 to reach the third round for the first time ever in their 62-year history.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 26 Aug 2016 16:02:58 Processing Time: 761ms