Hunter-Galvan's fight for Olympic selection is turning into a marathon.
Selectors are mulling over the mother-of-four distance runner's case again after she last week won an appeal before the Sports Tribunal.
Athletics NZ chief executive Scott Newman said yesterday a decision was expected early next week.
Although the make-up of most of the Olympic team will be settled on Monday, the fact that her case is unlikely to be completed by then will not preclude her from inclusion.
The United States-based 39-year-old was excluded from the athletics squad on the basis of non-performance at previous championship events, including her 51st at the Athens Olympics four years ago.
She fought her case before the tribunal on the basis she had run well under the qualifying time last year and that no one had said her previous performances were not up to scratch.
The tribunal ruled last week that she was not given a reasonable opportunity to satisfy the selection criteria and ordered that her case be reconsidered.
She followed up that favourable decision with a personal best 1hr 13m 29s victory in a half-marathon last weekend.
If the Athletics NZ selectors do nominate her, it will then be up to an Olympic Committee selection panel of Mike Stanley, Simon Wickham and Barry Maister to decide if she will go.
If her nomination is rejected by the NZOC panel, Hunter-Galvan will have 48 hours to appeal to the tribunal.
Athletics New Zealand took a tough stance over its selections.
It argued that to make the team the contestants would have to show that they were capable of finishing in the top 16.
Notes from the selection meeting showed officials were not convinced Hunter-Galvan was likely to achieve that.
But the tribunal decision noted that the qualifying standard had been set "with a quite specific aim of indicating by an objective standard an ability to finish in the top 16".By Eugene Bingham Email Eugene