Police granted more time to quiz UK bomb suspects

LONDON - A British court today gave police more time to question 23 people suspected of plotting to blow up transatlantic airliners.

A police statement said the warrants for 21 of the suspects were extended until August 23 and for two others until August 21.

Detectives had to apply to extend the detention warrants for 23 of the 24 suspects arrested since police said they had foiled a plan to carry out suicide bombings on planes bound for the United States using liquid explosives disguised as drinks.

The 23 people are all British-born Muslims, mainly of Pakistani descent. Police can hold suspects for up to 28 days before charging or releasing them.

One more person was detained yesterday in connection with the alleged plot, disclosed by police last week.

If carried out, the alleged plot by suspected Islamist militants could have surpassed the September 11, 2001, attacks on the United States in fatalities.

- REUTERS

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n2 at 21 Aug 2014 22:10:42 Processing Time: 719ms