Rugby: Steyn spares Boks' blushes

Replacement first five slots over late penalty to deny rampant Pumas historic victory.

Cornal Hendricks stretches to score as he is tackled by Argentina's Joaquin Tuculet. Picture / AP
Cornal Hendricks stretches to score as he is tackled by Argentina's Joaquin Tuculet. Picture / AP

South Africa survived a huge scare from Argentina to sneak a win in the Rugby Championship yesterday with a penalty by replacement first five-eighths Morne Steyn three minutes from the end.

Smashed in the scrums and often outplayed out wide, a shaky South Africa came back from 28-16 down with two late tries and Steyn's clinching kick in a desperate 20-minute spell at the end.

Argentina were rampant at times in the northern city of Salta and came so close to two major pieces of history: Their first win in the Southern Hemisphere competition and first win over the two-time world champion Springboks in 19 tests over 20 years.

The Pumas momentarily recovered from South Africa's late charge and centre Marcelo Bosch thumped over a 52m penalty to edge them ahead again 31-30 before Steyn won it.

"I'll say it again, this Argentinian team, they're a team on the up," South Africa captain Jean de Villiers said. "They're getting better and better and credit must go to the way they played.

They played incredibly well."

De Villiers called his team's unconvincing show a work in progress.

"At this stage, we'll just take the win," he said.

No 2-ranked South Africa had been warned when Argentina's forwards surprisingly dominated the Boks in the opening round of the championship last week in Pretoria before going down 13-6.

In the rematch in Salta, Argentina looked stronger again and scored the first try through left wing Manuel Montero in the 26th minute. The home team added two more in the space of five minutes early in the second to rock the Springboks in front of a boisterous crowd at Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena.

Replacement halfback Tomas Cubelli bounced off two big South African forwards to go over in the 47th and fullback Joaquin Tuculet raced into the left corner soon after. The noise from the crowd was so loud that referee Steve Walsh often struggled to communicate with his fellow match officials.

South Africa had taken a 16-13 halftime lead that was barely deserved and only came through a breakaway try by wing Bryan Habana, who extended his South African record to 56 tries in his 99th test as he chased down a hack ahead from halfback Ruan Pienaar.

Argentina maintained their intensity at the start of the second and their dominance over a Springboks front five, marching the South Africans back 10m in one scrum. That led South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer to replace both props.

Facing a 12-point deficit, South Africa dragged themselves back as Cornal Hendricks slammed the ball down on the line in the right corner to start the fightback. Replacement loose forward Coetzee, who changed the momentum for South Africa, bulldozed over at the back of a rolling maul in the 69th minute for the lead.

"They knew how to take advantage of some bad moments from us and we couldn't figure out how to win the game," Argentina captain Agustin Creevy said. "Up by 12, we said we should play intelligent rugby, but they came out strong and we made some mistakes."

Steyn, also a second-half replacement, still needed to land his late match-winning kick after Argentina had edged ahead again when Bosch hammered over a long-range shot.

Argentina were minutes away from a breakthrough win before conceding a late penalty that set up Steyn. The Pumas, ranked No 12 in the world, still have not won in 14 games in the Rugby Championship.

South Africa's two narrow victories over Argentina gave them the lead in the four-nation tournament but with much bigger challenges to come against Australia and New Zealand.

South Africa 33
Argentina 31


Stats provided by

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 24 Oct 2014 02:26:49 Processing Time: 207ms