Prince William expressed disappointment to two of Rupert Murdoch's top executives that no one from the media tycoon's empire apologised for hacking his aides' phones, a report says.
During a lunch meeting in January, the British prince admonished Rupert Murdoch's son James and Rebekah Brooks, who were at the time both executives in Murdoch's British newspaper wing News International, The Times newspaper said on Saturday.
William, second in line to the throne, reportedly said he was disappointed that no one from the publisher of the now defunct News of the World tabloid contacted him to apologise after his aides' voice messages were intercepted.
During the meal at a five-star hotel in north Wales, the prince is reported to have said that "it would have been nice if someone at the time had apologised".
Brooks, who resigned as News International chief executive this month amid the hacking scandal, and James Murdoch, chairman of News International, both said sorry during the meal, the report said.
A source quoted in the paper added James Murdoch was shocked no apology had already been offered.
The meal, which was organised by royal officials to build relations with the press, was "largely friendly", The Times said.
The original police investigation into phone hacking in 2006 centred on illegal interception of voicemail messages of royal officials.
The News of the World's royal editor and a private investigator were jailed in 2007 for hacking into the phones of members of the royal household.
The paper maintained for several years that the hacking was the work of a "rogue reporter" but it has emerged since that the practice was more widespread.