Lumbercube workers should learn more about their futures when they meet mill management today.

The mill shut suddenly on Thursday last week, leaving about 80 people out of work.

The mill's owners said the closure was due to challenges in becoming commercially operational.

Stuart Nash, Labour's forestry spokesman, and Rotorua party spokesman Tamati Coffey met Lumbercube management at the site yesterday.

Advertisement

Mr Nash said it was a shame the "really innovative company" had not become commercially viable.

Read more:
Lumbercube closure: union hits out
Concern for workers common ground


"They had a fantastic solution to problems the forestry industry will face in the next four in five years and it's sad it didn't work out. They really wanted to make it work."

Mr Coffey said he was confident employees were the company's primary concern.

"There's a lot of hurt out there, but they were genuine in their concern for them. I felt their sincerity, but it's a very sombre mood down there."

E Tu union spokesman Raymond Wheeler, who represents about 20 of the workers, said he met Lumbercube management on Monday.

Related articles:

ROTORUA DAILY POST
1 Jul, 2016 9:05am
time to read clock icon 2 minutes to read
ROTORUA DAILY POST
2 Jul, 2016 9:00am
time to read clock icon 3 minutes to read
ROTORUA DAILY POST
2 Jul, 2016 9:00am
time to read clock icon 4 minutes to read

Mr Wheeler would not comment on the meeting until workers had met mill management today.

Lumbercube management said they were still working through a process with workers but may comment further after the meeting.