MetService weather radar has detected severe thunderstorms near Taupo and Orakei Korako.
These severe thunderstorms are moving towards the south-southeast, and are expected to lie near Taupo and Wairakei at 4.37pm and near Rangitaiki and Iwitahi at 5.07pm.
These thunderstorms are expected to be accompanied by very heavy rain.
Very heavy rain can cause surface and/or flash flooding about streams, gullies and urban areas, and make driving conditions extremely hazardous.
Very heavy rain associated with this storm has been reported earlier from Bay of Plenty radar.
A severe thunderstorm watch remains in force for Bay of Plenty, including Rotorua and Taupo.
The Ministry of Civil Defence and Emergency Management advises that as storms approach you should:
- Take shelter, preferably indoors away from windows;
- Avoid sheltering under trees, if outside;
- Move cars under cover or away from trees;
- Secure any loose objects around your property;
- Check that drains and gutters are clear;
- Be ready to slow down or stop, if driving.
During and after the storm, you should also:
- Beware of fallen trees and power lines;
- Avoid streams and drains as you may be swept away in flash flooding.